Thursday, April 10, 2008

Maintaining an Uncompromised Staff


Slowly, our culture has changed; 23 years ago when I took the job at Hidden Acres, there were less issues to deal with amongst our summer staff; granted each counselor and staff could have had issues in their spiritual lives, but most things were kept controlled and very seldom did anything rear its ugly head. I am not saying the staff was perfect, I am just commenting, I was not aware of compromises in their lives.

Today, it is quite a different story. Due to 25 years of nonsense taught in the public school regarding right and wrong, most kids live in what I call a grey area; an area where they are not able to discern evil from good; wholesomeness from looseness; good choices from bad choices. Everything is OK today; all movies, all dancing, alcohol, lifestyle choices are up for discussion.

I am from the old school; I don't go to movies, I don't dance, I find alcohol to be of the devil, I don't gamble, I don't chew, and I believe homosexual activity is an abomination to the Lord. In case you have been under a rock for the last couple of decades, things have changed in Christian circles; and especially amongst the 30 and younger crowd.

What has changed in the past 30 years? God's Word has not changed. Were we wrong in seeing certain secular activities as sinful 30 years ago? Was it a sin to partake in alcohol or go to movies, or gamble 30 years ago? I remember the church preaching against it. I was instructed to have no part in a life style that would bring shame to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was taught to separate yourself from the culture. I was taught that if you were involved in compromising conduct, a weaker brother might stumble. I was taught you just didn't do certain things.

In our politically correct culture that we live in, we are told we can't/shouldn't point out choices and lifestyles that go contrary to the Scriptures. We are labelled bigotted/narrowminded/judgemental if we point out anything that Scripture warns us to flee from. Certain TV preachers won't talk about sin, but only smile big, toothy smiles and try to be the church cheerleader... "if you only believe enough, you can have a positive, successful life," they say.

I don't buy that approach; kids want to minister at camp, but when they are unclean vessels, their work is done in the flesh. Part of our job is to work with staff during their first week of staff training to help them to "have a clean conscious" before God. Paul understood that when he admonished young Timothy... have a good conscious so that you can fight the battle well and not have your faith shipwrecked like others.

We do those around us no favors when we moddle coddle them and tell them "good job" at every turn; instead of teaching, training, instructing and admonishing; when we do this, we are no better than the toothy preacher who cheerleads from the pulpit.

Just so you know... that will be my approach this summer; I will be smiling, but also admonishing and teaching!

No comments: