Monday, February 16, 2009

My Bus Driver Friend


Jr. High retreaters left on Sunday before noon; the Valley kids were being picked up by a local bus service from Des Moines. While the kids were packing up, I struck up a conversation with the bus driver. A 70 year old man who was looking for some breakfast; I found him some coffee and some rolls from breakfast and sat down in the Family Life Center to visit while he ate. It didn't take long for him to open up.

"I had my esophagus removed a couple years ago, " he said between bites. "I have to eat slower. My stomach is right up here," pointing to near his top of his sternum. "I had chemo for prostate cancer 10 years ago... and my wife is taking chemo for lung cancer. I can't get her to stop smoking." He went on and told me of his days in the service in Washington, about driving the bus, about one of his twin boy being still born. I said, "We know he is in heaven."

I stopped him when I asked, "If you died today, do you know where you will spend eternity?" He replied quickly, "Heaven." There was no more conversation, the bus needed to be loaded. I wanted to spend time following up his answer with a question about the time when he accepted Christ as his Savior. I pray that he remembers our talk, and that he might return and we can visit again. He said heaven, I pray he knew, but I have some doubts. When asked where he went to church, he said, "I can't remember the name of the church, but the preacher is the son of the former preacher... and I can't remember his name."

It is never too late to have an encounter with the Almighty. Never too late to start fresh. Never too late to become a new creation. For many, when we think of Hidden Acres, we think kids; but I think, "If he is breathing and walking, he should hear the good news." Pray with me for my bus driving friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Earl.