Thursday, November 26, 2009

A True Turkey Story





I had one tag turkey tag left in my pocket, so I felt it my duty to hunt just a few more times for turkey on my property north of my house. I was able to get two tags this year, and had filled one in October.

On Sunday evening I sat in my shooting house; it is a little 6 sided shooting shack on stilts, with 6 windows to see and shoot from. I love it because it was my dads, and I love it because I can sit in it with a heater, coffee, radio and earphones, and enjoy an evening of hunting. From my high perch, I can see all corners of my property and some of the neighbors too.

Right on cue, a group of 5 young gobblers entered my bean field. I got my gun stuck out the window and waited until they came into range. At 50 yards, I could tell they were not going to get any closer, so I shot, dropping one. He flopped around, but I knew that was normal. But, he stood back up and walked into some weeds. I jumped out of the house, and chased him down, shooting him again with my last bullet.

I carried him back the 100 yards to the shooting shack, and laid him at the bottom of my stairs. I had a bow tag, so I returned to the shack to wait out the last hour of the day. While in the shack, I received a phone call from my son in law. While on the phone I said, "There goes another turkey across my bean field." Then it dawned on me to look out the door. I did. And the dead turkey was gone.

I had been pondering how I was going to cook this turkey for Thanksgiving today, and all the time this Lazarus turkey was thinking otherwise. I was out of bullets, so I tried to chase him down with my bow, but the turkey slipped into the timber, never to be seen again.


....and that is a true story!! Motto: Always have a ham in the freezer!

written by:
Earl Taylor
Director of Design and Vision
Hidden Acres Christian Center
... a Christian youth and children summer camp, a retreat center for adults and families, owned by the Evangelical Free Churches of Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota, and located in central Iowa

No comments: