Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Joy to the World...THE LORD IS COME!!


Talk about getting me out of the mood for Christmas!! I turned on a local TV station this morning to catch an update on the upcoming storm, only to be greeted by a lively New York City choir singing a rendition of Joy to the World. Nice choir: energetic and engaged. But they got the song all wrong: they couldn't sing the song as written: Joy to the World, the Lord has come... that would be offensive to someone... instead they replaced the Lord has come with "let everyone sing". As if singing was going to bring lasting JOY to the world.

For those who know me, you know that I don't go for all the hype and glitter of Christmas. I was told when I had children I would change.... I didn't: I have four. I was told when I had grandchildren I would change... I didn't: I have six!

I do love the spirit of Christmas: the extra time with family, extra time to read and relax, extra time to reflect on the past year and anticipate the next year, and I even like a few football games. I don't need presents and decorations and parties to accomplish that. What I like best is the platform of the Christmas season to share my faith: it is a no brainer. When others complain about their busyness of the week, I can talk about the Christ child... born to be the Savior. Born into a world full of sin and strife, knowing that this "lamb of a child" would 33 years later be the final and perfect sacrifice.

Today is the 23rd, and I have yet to visit a store in town to purchase the "Joy giving gift" that many have labored over for weeks. My prayer over these next few days is that I would be sent a stranger with an empty spot in his heart, and that I might be the messenger of the Good News to all people and share about this Christ child born so many years ago... "Lord give me the courage and discernment when you send a joyless person into my life!"

Written by:
Earl Taylor, Design and Vision Director
Hidden Acres Christian Center Dayton,Iowa
...Hidden Acres is a Christian youth and summer camp along with an adult and family retreat center located in central Iowa. Hidden Acres is owned by the Evangelical Free Churches of Iowa, South Dakota, and Missouri.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Earl. I have always appreciated your heart for others and your love for the Lord. God bless you and your family.
Your friend,
Denny V.