Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I turned 53 yesterday; there are still a few good years left in me, but most of what I wanted to accomplish physically has been accomplished or it just isn't going to get done. Oh sure, I would have liked to have hunted in Alaska deep into some wilderness area; oh sure, I would have liked to hike across America; oh sure, I would have liked to have had 12 kids... but these things probably won't happen. I have reached a point in my life where I am content with what I have done with my own strength and determination.

That doesn't mean I am content with where I am; I still know that I must keep building buildings, learning management skills, sharing my faith, and trusting the Lord in all situations. I know there are many good days ahead of me; perhaps even the best days are ahead of me; I just know there will be more mind work than body work.

There are few things more satisfying in life than to be fulfilled with your life work; a work that is meaningful and a life lived that spreads Godly influence on those you work with. It truly has been my pleasure to work along side of nearly 1000 staff (ages 14 to 25) who have helped us make Hidden Acres successful. I often reflect back on the good old days when counselors came to camp without a computer, a cell phone, an ipod and were 100% focused on their mission of ministry to campers. There were special years with summer staff; 1988,89,90,91 were all great years; those were the years of having only 15 to 20 staff, but I was able to touch each staff member's lives through teaching and training.

It doesn't mean that working staff in 2008 and beyond won't be as satisfying; it will but it also has it's own challenges. The young people are just as needy and open to be challenged to live a life of purpose and passion. It is our job to be faithful and engage ourselves into young people's lives to counter-act what our culture

The purpose of this blog will be to communicate the vision and direction of Hidden Acres along with updates to the facilities and programs. It would be my desire that from this blog, you would catch a glimpse of who we are and what we are about.

No comments: