Monday, March 24, 2008

March 25, 2008

A new week... a new season. At last, spring is here. I so enjoyed the extra long weekend doing very little except watching basketball and eating to much.

I spent most of the weekend goofing around on Facebook; enlarging my friends of former staff at camp. What fun for me to track down kids from the past and to get caught up on their lives through their pictures and employment situations. I am finding that it is becoming more important to me to keep connected with former staff than ever before. I do enjoy hearing their testimony of how their summer with us has impacted their lives today.

It is probably because of my age; at 53 you are nearly done working; which in turn forces a person to look back and see if our life counted. For some, they realize they haven't accomplished what they set out to do; for others, they see they have piddled their life away and it appears they have so little to show for their life; I look back over the years here at camp and smile at the kids and staff that have been a part of my life. I am not dead yet, just reflective.

The one thing that Hidden Acres wants to accomplish in the lives of our summer staff would be the following:
1. Teach young people that it isn't about themselves.
2. Serve with a humble mind and a willing heart.
3. Put in a good days work for your pay.
4. Develop some work habits that will carry over into a real job back home.
5. Encourage and train young people to become our church leaders of the future.
6. Promote healthy relationship that edify one another.

Summer camp is a wonderful time of the year for us; we have worked all winter preparing, hiring, building, and marketing for these 8 weeks together. I would encourage any parent to let their kid come and work at camp for a summer. We will return them to you seasoned and more mature because of their time at camp

No comments: