Tuesday, June 2, 2009

2nd Generation

I knew it would happen eventually; if I stayed around long enough, a second generation of workers will work for me; today it has happened.

Kendall Johnson from the Oakdale Free Church worked for us in 1986 as a counselor and doing maintenance. The camp was very small with only 10 paid summer staff workers. My memory of Kendall: while a counselor, I would see Kendall on the John Deere tractor doing something, moving something, but not with his kids. Kendall was from the farm, and needed a little tractor time each week just to keep him sane. He tore into fixing the tractor and left it in a pile of bolts and metal.

Today his son Josiah Johnson starts working for us. Josiah has attended camp all these years, and has finally come of age. We are bigger now with over 120 summer staff, so Josiah will be one of many and much harder for me to keep track of.

I actually like the idea of seeing a second generation come through Hidden Acres work force. Though we were tough and demanding on the first generation, these parents understand the process of growing up and allowing their children to spread their wings and to begin establishing their own pedigree. For many, this is there first real job.

Just so you know Josiah, I will be as tough on you as I was your dad; the only difference is that I am much older and slower and I don't hear much... good luck and I pray you grow in real knowledge and that you will develop new skills that will last a life time.

1 comment:

paintergal said...

My two sons and my nephew are there as counselors also. My prayers are with them all.
Here's to a fabulous summer, learning and growing closer to Christ.