Tuesday, June 9, 2009

When Old Staff Return Home to Camp


Shawn and Connie and children

There has probably been at least 2000 kids who have worked at Hidden Acres over my past 25 years of being apart of the ministry; there is a long list of kids whom I have grown to love like sons and daughters; I smile often as I think about their time spent at camp with us.

Yesterday a couple of my favorites stopped in on their way back to Montana: Connie and Shawn McAlpine who both worked for us back in the late 80”s; Shawn is the pastor of an Christian Missionary Alliance church in Colstrip, Montana; they had returned to Iowa for a parents 50th wedding anniversary, and wanted their two children to see the camp and to check out what was new at camp; they had not been back for at least 10 years. It was great fun for me to give them the nickel tour and to show them the family life center, chapel, pastor’s cabin, and all the new program areas.

I considered both Connie and Shawn to be top notched staff; they were great kids while working together (before they were married); Shawn was our program director in the 80’s and went on to work at a camp full time in Minnesota after college. I remember them both as faithful, diligent, and with a passion for ministering to campers. In the 80’s, a staff of 12 to 16 seemed huge and almost unmanageable. I was much younger and much less trained, so that was all I could oversee. Today, we have 140 young people on staff and I don’t blink an eye at the size of the staff.

….And the week before, Ryan Peterson and his wife and new baby stopped in for a couple day visit prior to attending a wedding nearby. Ryan was a counselor and the camp pastor in the 90’s who now is senior pastor in Minnesota. He too shared about receiving his calling into ministry while working the many summers at camp.

Ryan and his family

Part of my early morning devotions time, I look over the list of current staff members and pray over them and ponder what will they become and how will they serve in the future at camp and back in the local church. From reading their bio-sketches, many of the young men have a desire to become youth pastors. I am surprised about the lack of kids who don’t see mission work in their future.

As I told the parents of the summer staff last week during our commissioning service, we will be a grinding wheel on your child’s life this summer. We will push them beyond what they ever thought they could accomplish. We will train and encourage. We will scold and admonish when necessary. We will force them to make good decisions and to be diligent and responsive. We will insist they take responsibility for mistakes and we will reward them for outstanding service. We want each young person to have a true servant's heart and to put the needs of campers above their own personal desires.

From the 140+ staff, I pray that we do send out future pastors to places like Colstrip, Montana and Minnesota, I pray we send out missionaries to places like Congo, Malaysia, and to inner city work. My prayer for this year's summer staff is that the Lord would touch their palate with the taste of active ministry that would transform them into young men and women who will not be content to sit along the sidelines of the church as pew warmers, but will be actively engaged in soul winning and kingdom work.

Pray with me that from this group, in 20 years when they come back for their tour of camp, (as they push me around in my wheel chair), that they too can report in and say, “It was here at camp that the Hand of the Lord touched me and I knew I was going to be in the ministry some day!”

Written by:
Earl Taylor, Director of Vision and Design
Hidden Acres Christian Center, Dayton, Iowa
earldtaylor@yahoo.com
Hidden Acres is a Christian youth camp and adult retreat center located in central Iowa. Hidden Acres is owned by Evangelical Free Churches of Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earl, you probably ought to charge more than a nickel for your tours. Thanks again for letting us see how God blesses our faithfulness to let Him use us as conduits for His generosity. Our kids enjoyed the cookies all the way back to Montana. We enjoyed seeing God bless the ministry you and DeeDee oversee as you give your time and energy moment-by-moment in His pursuits. May you continue to lean on Him and may He continue to bless others through you.
Shawn McAlpine

Sarah said...

"My prayer for this year's summer staff is that the Lord would touch their palate with the taste of active ministry that would transform them into young men and women who will not be content to sit along the sidelines of the church as pew warmers, but will be actively engaged in soul winning and kingdom work."

Know that this is EXACTLY what happened to me while at camp. A hunger for serving was started that inspires me as a children's pastor to GET KIDS SERVING! Lives change when people serve: Those serving just as much as those being served.

thanks Earl,

Josh Denhart