Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Boats and Beer Signs



I actually don't enjoy estate auctions, but I will look through the listings in our weekly shopper; my wife likes to attend auctions, so I want to see if there might be something I could use that she could buy for me.

Last week's shopper had the usual listings, but one struck me and resonated deep into my mind: lots of old beer signs and lots of boats! A man had live 70+ years, and two types of items seemed to personify the person... beer and boats.

I know that auction notices are unable to fully explain the man; perhaps he was a fine Christian man who led countless people to the Lord; perhaps he was a fine family man that love and nurtured his kids and wife: I was unable to read that in the list of what he had accumulated. I don't suppose I would have been any more ready to purchase a boat from him if I had known he had used the boats for Christian cruises of Don Williams Lake. But through the entire thought process, I did ponder, what will I be known for when I die and they sell off my stuff that I had accumulated over the years? Will anybody really care about my many deer heads, my guns, my wildlife art collection and will anybody really know and understand my testimony and my walk with Christ? Will my life on earth have any effect on what will be sold at my estate auction?

I just returned from a hunting trip to South Dakota where I got lots of shots at deer; missing 11 times. I was surprised at my response when I missed a couple really nice size bucks: I felt bad for a minute, but didn't stew or brood over not acquiring another big rack for my wall. Instead I rejoiced in the entire trip, revelling in the outdoors, and the many opportunities. I was content with waking up each morning very alive and eager to face the new day. I thought to myself,"Perhaps I am finally learning something, growing a little wiser, and perhaps I am getting things in life in a better perspective."

Earlier this week I had a chance to share with my 80 year old friend Cliff about Christ; in the end of our conversation, Cliff simply said, "You were brought up differently than I was. My dad lived to be a 100, and he did not see any need for religion. I feel the same way." Cliff will die one of these days, maybe tomorrow, and maybe like his dad, in 20 years; it is my prayer that when I preach his funeral sermon, I can tell about the man Cliff, who loved to hunt and garden, but more importantly, Cliff the man who came to Christ at 80+ years old. Pray with me for Cliff.

My friend Cliff

I actually hope I do have a big audience at my estate sale; but I don't want them there because they covet a deer head or a gun of mine; I want them there sitting on the sidelines visiting with others and saying, "I would like to have one of Earl's guns, he meant something to me and he was the one who led me to Christ." I trust that perhaps a Cliff might come to the sale... or others because they came to know Christ because of my faithfulness here on earth.

So... is your garage full of unfinished sail boats and the walls littered with antique beer signs? Or... are you already preparing you sale bill with fewer and fewer earthly items, and concentrating on your eternal sale bill?

Written by
Earl Taylor, Executive Director
Hidden Acres Christian Center, Dayton, Iowa
... a Christain youth and childrens summer camp and a retreat center for adults, families, churches, and schools. Hidden Acres is owned by the Evangelical Free Churches of Iowa, South Dakota, and Missouri.

1 comment:

Emily Christine said...

Earl, This is a great thought to put in everyone's head! It is a great way to keep us all thinking.