Monday, October 12, 2009

Foundation Stones

I returned to my cabin in Northeast Iowa this past weekend; we took grandkids on their first trip to cabin and to tour the area looking at the leaves and the many beautiful sights. We had a wonderful trip.

As I was picking up sticks to build a fire behind the cabin, I noticed that the limestones that used to be the foundation for our old cabin, were peaking through the dirt; one here, one there, but a general outline could be seen in the grass; it had the appearance of something like a ancient building site being unearthed by archeogist.


I knew what was beneith the surface; I didn't need to have an expert tell me. It was I that burned the old cabin down accidently 4 years ago. It was I who pushed in the left over debris and buried everything below the surface and seeded it down with grass; and yet four years later... stones were making their way to the surface, indicating where the old house had set.

We all have them: buried rocks. Rocks that we have tried to bury. Rocks that have deeply hurt, wounded, or grieved us. Rocks of death, broken relationships, and unfulfilled promises. Rocks that have created havoc and chaos in family life.

We don't bury joy rocks! We mount them on top of the shelves of our houses and minds. Great stuff! Great events! Awards! Trophies! Letters of admiration! Letters of Praise!

It is the buried rocks that we keep tripping over, stubbing or toe or falling flat on our faces because they tripped us up.

I will leave the rocks visible at the cabin, and won't remove them until they trip me up at night as I go to the outhouse; then I will dig them up with a vengenance and will remove them permentantly. And with the rock, I will build a fire place near the pond, so I can have the rocks visible and functional again. It is ok to have the rocks... just don't let them crush you beneath their weight. Use them them for future ministry.

Written by
Earl Taylor
Executive Director
Hidden Acres Christian Center, Dayton, Iowa 50530
... a Christian youth and childrens summer camp and a retreat center for adults, families, churches and schools. Hidden Acres is owned by the Evangelical Free Churches of Iowa, Missouri, and South Dakota

No comments: