Friday, May 30, 2008

The Hand of the Lord is on Us


You hem me in behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.

Where ever I go; what ever I speak; what ever I think; He knows it completely... and in spite of our ignorance and shortcomings, He keeps His hand on us: directing, leading, encouraging, providing, and admonishing us when and where it is needed. I am convinced about this as we work at Hidden Acres; God's hand is on us and is the guiding source of all we do.

My days are short before I move into my tent at the site of the new motel; on Sunday, I will give up comfort, a/c, and my chair and coffee in the morning for a tent. I will stay overnight in this tent for 30 nights; I will have my morning devotions in the tent, drink my morning coffee in the tent, and watch camp wake up slowly. I will wake up early; hours before the rest of the camp is moving about. I will see the flag being raised each morning; I will watch the flag taken down each night. I will hear excessive noise and late night activities; some sanctioned, and some not so sanctioned or encouraged by the camp. I am looking forward to the month. Perhaps I won't hear much news about the politics of the summer; perhaps I won't know if the corn prices have hit $7 per bushel; perhaps it might be just the thing to do to clear the mind from the noise of our nation.

The tent is a temporary home; not a place where we want to accumulate lots of extra stuff; just those things that are necessary in life. No pictures on the walls, little furniture, and nothing on the floor: there is little to keep track of; little to dust; and even less to organize and straighten up each day. More time to ponder, more time to think, more time to relate to friends and family, more time for exercise and write.

The Hand of the Lord has been on me. I have seen it over the 24 years at Hidden Acres. I have seen the Lord's hand in and on our daily activity. I have seen His hand with each building we build, with each new program we begin, with each staff we hire.

I trust you can read as I write more often this coming month of the days in the tent. I am praying for insight, new direction for myself and the camp, and for a fresh understanding of what it means to have His hand upon me each day. I am praying that the Lord supplies our needs as we begin the building; to keep us safe; to supply the funds and the workers, and to go before us and make our decision making process accurate and effective.

earldtaylor@yahoo.com

No comments: