Sunday, June 1, 2008

First Night of Camping- June 1, 2008


The fire is burning; the mosquitoes are biting; the sun is just setting; and the birds are making their final good night calls; life is good in a tent. I may get to liking this simple life. After the first midnight thunder storm, I am sure I will sing a different song.

Lead staff arrived today at camp; these are some of the best; proven kids that we have moved into leadership roles; kids that have been here many years as campers and as counselors. We are depending on these kids to lead the remaining 100 staff who arrive on Tuesday. After that, it is full bore at camp.

One would hope that by sitting quietly by a campfire that some profound thoughts would come to mind; new discoveries would pop into my head; complicated systems would suddenly seem simple to my simple mind; new building designs would come to mind… I am sitting only a few feet away from where the new motel lodge will be built. But, probably nothing new will come; the fire will turn into embers, my eyes will be filled with smoke and I have been quiet for 30+ minutes. “Be still and know that I am you God!”

It is fun for me to sit right next to the site of the motel; not so many years ago I remember the site being used for something else. When I arrived at Hidden Acres, a large brick hog shed that had been converted into a shop area and a recreation area sat on this site. The original foundation can still be seen. Behind the hog shed, we had two mobile homes; one was used for housing, the other was used as a kitchen for the first camp in 1983. Over the years, the hog shed was torn down, an above ground swimming pool was erected, carpet ball tables were moved in, and even a few campers were parked on the site over Labor Day family camp. Finally, the last building that I will remember will be built here.

As I mentioned the hog shed and mobile homes, a conversations comes to mind I had with a young man in his thirties on Saturday. International Messengers were training short term missionaries that will go into Europe this summer. One young men that was helping with the training, an International Messenger staff member told me, "I accepted Christ here in 1983 during Basketball camp with coach Bob and with Mike Shea the speaker." 25 years later, this young man is still going strong in his faith; a missionary; a soul winner. And he still remembers his coach, speaker, and that he stayed in the old tentels. I was blessed with his testimony from this young man from Ft. Dodge. Those who remember that summer, can remember a summer of mud, back up sewer systems, and uncompleted lodge, and toilets that shocked you when you flushed. It is no wonder that the Lord took that building home through fire 5 months later.

What will kids remember 25 years from now? Are we going to leave such big tracks behind us that we will be remembered; or are we only going to leave a few scuffles in the leaves that won't be noticeable after a few years?/ My pastor talked about this this morning; Paul wrote, watch what I do. Our pastor told the story of a Christian man who told a seeker, "If you want to understand what Christianity is about, walk along side of me for two months!" I am not sure I could/would make that statement.

We are walking through this life; some are on the run; but regardless we better understand that we are creating tracks of some kind; will they be tracks that will lead others to Christ; or will they will be tracks that will be seen as hypocritical and full of empty words. Will campers some day return to Hidden Acres and remember who the camp director was, who the camp speaker was, or who their counselor was? My prayer is that is would be so; that they too would still be strong in their faith; ready with their testimony of how Christ met them in a special way while at camp.

earldtaylor@yahoo.com

No comments: