Sunday, June 29, 2008

Having faith like a Child! First timers at camp


Tonight, 250+ little campers arrived at camp; for many, this will be their first camping experience; for many it will be their first time away from home for 3 nights with strangers; for many, it will be their first 3 day sleep over in a fun cabin with 7 or 8 other campers. All in all, it is a great 3 days at camp.

For me, it was even more enjoyable to see 5 former counselors bring their little ones to camp! Wow! Mom and Dad wanted to give their child a similar experience that they experience as counselors back in the early 1990's. This is by far my favorite week; the kids want to be loved by their counselor; they want lots of action and fun, and they need extra sleep. The counselor loves this week also; for the counselor, they are ready to be smothered and wallered by their camper, and the 7 year old boys climb over their counselor as if he were a tree.

This is my prayer; many of these children have attended Awana's and have made some commitments to Christ; for others, this could be their first time in a Christian environment that will introduce them to the gospel. It is our prayer that each camper has their encounter with the Almighty... that these three days will be etched in their memory and heart as an encounter with the Savior.

I looked around tonight during the hot dog roast at these rosy cheeked children, full of innocence and promise; as I strolled amongst the tables I rubbed a few heads and patted a few shoulders, but I was really praying for these children. Praying that their days and years ahead might be full of positive Christian influences like they will experience this week. Praying that they would maintain purity in their hearts; praying that they would become strong Christian leaders with vibrant testimonies.
As a news junkie, I watch too much Fox news. I hear and see reports around the world and I can begin to fret and stew and worry and wonder. I wonder what my grand kids are going to have to endure; I wonder what these 250 campers will have to face in the days ahead. What can we do today to build up these young people with hearts and minds to discern what is good from evil, to discern what is best for them in the future? I know of nothing better than God's Word engrafted into their minds through memorizing... "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee."

In 10 short years, many of these first time campers will be of age to work at the camp; I am praying that the Lord will begin a good work in them that will be built upon at home and at church and in the future years at camp. We want these youngsters to develop into real soldiers of the cross.

Pray with me this week!!

earldtaylor@yahoo.com

No comments: