Thursday, June 12, 2008

During times of heartache and distress: Tornados and Floods


I read a quote from Cedar Rapids Sheriff on Fox News this afternoon: "We're just kind of at God's mercy right now, so hopefully people that never prayed before this, it might be a good time to start," Linn County Sheriff Don Zeller said. "We're going to need a lot of prayers and people are going to need a lot of patience and understanding."

God's mercy. It is fresh every morning! We do want and need his mercy: EVERY DAY... even when the sun is shining,when the birds are singing, and when the strong winds blow or the waters are rising.

I am glad that even the world knows that they are at God's mercy; my prayer is that they cry out for his mercy in 6 weeks or 6 months when the mud is dry, the sheet rock is patched, and life is back to normal. I was so encouraged after 9/11 for about a month as we heard people call out for the mercy of God, but they soon forgot, and turned back to their earthly cares.

In a week, we will be hosting the Valley EFC men that are training for disaster relief; they will bring their trailer full of tools: chainsaws and other equipment to bring aid to those who are hurting; they were in Parkersburg 2 weeks ago cutting up down trees, etc. What an opportunity for these men to share their testimonies. I love this type of practical ministry.

My challenge to all is that we capitalize on this window of opportunity to share our faith; this is a season of questions and lack of understanding by the pagan world; to them things are falling apart all around them and there are no answers for them. Have the right answer ready: I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds my hand and shows His mercy to me even when I don't deserve it.
earldtaylor@yahoo.com

No comments: