Thursday, June 12, 2008

Til' the Storm Passes Over


We were anxious last night; and rightly so; by 8 p.m., word had come to us that a tornado had hit a boy scout camp near Omaha, killing 4 and injuring 40+ campers and staff. We went into red alert; I quickly returned to camp, and hovered over the radar screen, manned the phone, and listened to WHO. By 9:15, the rainstorm arrived, with plenty of rain, and moderate winds. We had the kids all corralled inside, and key staff members knew what to do if I made the call to move the kids to the basement or into inside locker rooms.

The Storm passed over leaving plenty of puddles, lots of lingering lightning; but the campers made their way back to their cabins donning garbage bags for makeshift raincoats; I saw one group of girl campers splashing their way to the covered wagons, singing and enjoying the aftermath of a intense rain storm.

Our hearts ache this morning as we read in the papers and listen to the news about the boy scout camp tragedy. Within 8 minutes of the first tornado warning from the weather people, the storm snuffed out the lives of 4 young people. My prayer is that these boys knew Christ as their Savior. My prayer is for the parents and families will be ministered to during this time and that something good can come from all this.

The safety of 340 campers, 120 staff can scare a person into fear and trembling. But I don't let it weigh on me; I learned many years ago that the same hand of the Lord that has guided me through situations can also be the hand of protection. We reacted with our God given common sense and had the children in a controlled situation, we monitored the storm, and we reacted according to a plan, but in the end, it is the hand of the Lord that can move mountains, can calm the seas, and can create storms or diminish storms. We are chaff in the wind.

Chaff in the Wind: even with all the technology around us, we have no more control over the weather than we do when it come to the sun rising or sitting; we can only be bystanders, watching and wondering; do we watch with an eye that doesn't see God's hand, or do we watch and see God's ultimate plan playing out in right in front of our eyes?

Should we grow tired of the rain, the mud, the excessive wet area? It grates on the nerve; but when the storm passes over and we know who is in control, we can rest, knowing that this is the same God that protected Israel by day and by night; he will do the same for us.
earldtaylor@yahoo.com

5 comments:

Lance said...

Earl - Thanks so much for the update. Our two daughters are with you this week, and my wife and I were rightly anxious during the storms last evening. I am a self-professed weather-geek, and was watching many radar images and the tracks of the storms. I was praying to God the whole time. It greatly comforts us to know that our girls are with you and your staff this week.
God Bless You.
p.s. - Did you sleep in your tent last night?
Lance

Anonymous said...

Earl,
Thank you for the great blog. It moved me to tears knowing that our kids are in great hands guided by God's love.
After hearing about the Boy Scouts
last night my nerves were shot knowing that that storm was heading towards Dayton. I was praying so hard for the families of the Boy Scouts and for all of you up there and your families.
I can't wait to hear what the kids have to say tomorrow when we see them.
Thank you for everything.

Diana said...

I am so thankful for the update on what was happening last night during the storm. I prayed for you last night, but it was hard not be worried. I felt secure in the fact that Sam was in good hands and your staff would stay on top of the situation.

Maybe the kids will have some "fish stories" to tell about the stormy night at camp :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing your best to keep the kids safe. I, too, was very anxious that night and did not sleep well. I have had tornado dreams since I was a child. I know God is in control and yet he allows much to happen which is difficult to understand. And yet, God is always good--"to we" as David Martin would say. :}

KfNiemeyer said...

Earl, we truly left our daughter in the Hands of our Lord as we left her at camp with a week forecasted to be stormy. I had peace as we drove away. I feel God rewarded my trust by allowing me to glimpse the heart of the camp's director: you. Thank you for using technology in your ministry (this blog) and thank you for opening your soul to the leading of God's Spirit!