Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Staff Alumni-Cream of the crop


Every year, I go back and reflect on past staff as I try to select names for the Wall of Fame: a list of former summer staff that I consider the "cream of the crop"; those who did above what they were asked to do; those who worked selfishly so that the camper's needs were met, in spite of how the counselor felt... whether tired or sick, or both.

We have a board of names located in the Family Life Center: it is a reminder for campers to remember old counselors they might of had, and it is a form of recognition to those who served so faithfully for several summers; typically, the kids whose names are on the Wall of Fame are staff that stuck with us for more than 2 years. They started in high school for very low pay, and they continued once in college for very low pay.

I want some healthy competition amongst the staff; I want them to want to win as a counselor or a dish washer or a maintenance person. I don't want them to think that second best is o.k., and they don't have to give out 100% to the campers or to the camp. They have only 5 days to make a lasting impact on the lives of the young campers; it is possible that some of their campers might never attend camp again, or go to an evangelical church again; this might be the only chance for this camper to accept Christ.

Cream always rises to the top; the best staff will always shine out from their peers; they will get the job done when the circumstances around them appear to be impossible; they will meet the needs of each camper. Even after 2 weeks of camp, I am seeing patterns of greatness; and sometimes I am seeing patterns of laziness. When I see the lazy, I am quick to go after it and push this staff to excel; (some call it yelling or admonishing... I consider it spurring on!) Pushing for cream, but will settle for half and half!

This week our speaker is Chris Rollman; a former counselor who is now a youth pastor in Wichita Kansas. I saw CREAM in Chris when he was 16; he was responsive, responsible, and diligent in his duties even as a Jr. Counselor. As he matured and grew older I saw him even become more of a leader and an inspiration to the campers under him. I spoke to a pastor that Chris did an internship with in Orange City and the pastor said, "Chris could get a job anywhere he wants; he is that good of a kid, and is so prepared for ministry that any church in the United States would love to have him on their staff." And I fully agree.

You will hear reports that I am bossy, pushy, demanding, a little growly at times at the staff; at the time, the kids think I am just the grouchy old man at camp that makes their life miserable. I am glad they think that at times; I do want them to remember my admonishments and direction later in life when they get a real job and start paying in for my social security. I want them to be able to reflect back and be thankful for some good training that helped them become productive citizens.

Cream always rises to the top; while uncared for milk usually sours!





No comments: