Friday, July 18, 2008

Great Testimonies from Home


I am so blessed: I get to be around kids all summer; I get to motivate a group of staff; I get to hear great reports from mom's and dad's back home after the children return from camp. (occasionally I am not so Blessed when I get a unfavorable report from home; this doesn't happen often... but it does happen!) I will share appropriate excerpts from parents.

" I have enjoyed reading your blogs and insights on many issues. I want you to know that the experience my children have at Hidden Acres is priceless. I am a single mother trying to raise my boys on my own for 14 years now. I never could have done it without Gods help, the church's help or Hidden Acres . My boys are 17 and 15 now. One is currently at Hidden Acres. The three of us have seen alot of ups and downs together, but God always seems to give us the strength we need to move forward. Both boys have gone to Hidden Acres every summer for the last 8 years. I try to keep them actively involved in church so they can stay focused on what is important, but sometimes life gets in the way. It is such a blessing to see them return from camp every year. The bond they form with Christ while they are there no money can buy. They always come home with such an inner peace, it makes me cry. I want nothing but great things and a prosperous future for them. I know through God they will find it. God works miracles in our life every day, through people like you and the great staff at Hidden Acres! Thank You! I only pray that one day I can give back as much as you guys have given us. You have truly been a blessing to this family!"
Sincerely, One grateful mom

What a blessing for me to hear that! That is the kind of impact we pray we can make in the lives of young people and entire families. We are here to help parents be successful in their parenting; to help them raise kids with a heart to serve and worship Christ.

Dear Hidden Acres Camp:
I just wanted to write and thank you for the wonderful time my son had at camp. He attended the T-3 camp . Alec Epkes was his counselor and my son enjoyed and looked up to him so much. Thank you Alec! My son loved the fun, work, friends, and "devos". He's come backed changed in a good way. I am so thankful as a mother to see his growth and a new depth in his character. As a teen, he needs to be around other teens with a positive influence that reflects God's love to him. Alec and Hidden Acres certainly did that. Our son told me last week that he really had fun hanging around Alec. He was looking up Bible verses to share that he and Alec had talked about. We just signed him up to be back for Sr. High week this month and he is thrilled to be returning...

God Bless your ministry.... a mom of a camper

Do you see what can happen? When a counselor is sold out to Jesus Christ... his life style and example bubbles out from him; his life is contagious to those around him. That is our prayer each spring when we hire these young people; that they will be the instruments that God uses to touch camper's lives.
....and finally

"Sometimes during the winter, when things are getting a little rough with our teenager, I remember that during the summer she will be going to Hidden Acres. I can't explain the transformation that occurs after she's been there. I just can tell you that the Holy Spirit is refilled within and fruit is produced."
In gratitude... a camper's mom

Transformation... Changed... Refilled with the Holy Spirit! I don't have to say anymore... these mom's just did it for me.... they just explained why we have camp at Hidden Acres, and what we hope to accomplish in the lives of each camper.

Sr. High week next week!!! Are we ever excited about how/when the Spirit of God will work in their lives. Pray with me throughout the week.

earldtaylor@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Earl,

I love reading what you have to say in each of your blogs. I just wanted to share a little about my past year at camp. Working this former summer as a "Media Guy" was quite the experience. I learned so much about not only media production, but also about life in general.

I was teamed up with Andy Johnson, who pretty much rocked; which was awesome! The summer started off where I basically thought I was on top of the world, "well, at least the camp" I was after all Lead Staff; the youngest ever, might I add. And I was a little cocky about it... I didn't gloat it or anything, but I definitely wasn't humble about it either; at least not at first.

After about a week of camp, things started coming back into reality: "With great power comes great responsibility" This hit me when T3 had a little mishap in the gym; long story short... I should have opened my eyes to what was going on around me.

It was then that I began to realize that I wasn’t there just to lead, but to serve! I had to earn respect; it isn't just given with the title! It took me practically all of the rest of the summer to fully apply that principle to my life; and I am even still working on it to this day. Leadership is so much more than just leading; it's serving!

As anticipated, I made a few more mistakes as the summer progressed... parking my car into a tree being one of them. The tree was insured by camp; my car was not. (It ended up costing me more then i made all summer) Even now, i look back and think about how stupid I was, how could God use someone like me?

Then, after much prayer and talking with Ryan Graden and other friends, I began to realize how God uses our mistakes to shape us into who we are today. So, thank you to the staff members who stuck with me through this learning experience. Especially you, Johnson!

I learned a lot this summer at camp about God and how He works in my life. I saw Him working in the lives of my fellow staff members and how through them, so many young lives were changed to the glory of Christ! I look forward to see what God has in store for me next year at camp Hidden Acres!

Sincerely,
Andy Krueger
KRUEGZ