Sunday, July 20, 2008

Our Walk: and the walk across Iowa


I spoke this morning for our church time at camp; 40+ campers and staff filled the first 3 rows of the chapel. During our time together, I spoke of my walk 4 years ago across Iowa and what I had learned from it. The 22 days on the road, that covered over 350 miles were three weeks of pure fun and joy. I can't remember when exercise felt better.

Much of what I learned from the walk, I transferred to our spiritual walk. Let me share the seven things I learned.

1. No coasting… Scripture talks about our spiritual walk…
a. we need to be doing something… often times we want BIG opportunities.. big ministry…
b. More often than not… our spiritual walk is one step at a time.. being faithful in the small opportunities… taking care of the mundane, detail issues in our walk
c. Dolly Christian.- Many Christians want the pastor to push them along in their walk and whine… “I’m not being fed”, when they are not living victorious lives.
d. A Christian with a ball and chain of past hurts and life pains struggles in their walk

2. Everyone needs someone to be encouraged along the way.
a. The lady in the Red van, who picked me up at the end of the day and took me to my camper, and then invited me for supper and stay in their families back yard over night. She was an angel of mercy on my walk.
b. I am a lone ranger. I can do it by myself has been my mantra... I have had to learn to let others encourage me.
c. I believe this is the single #1 reason new believers shrivel at the vine. No one comes along side them to encourage. If you can’t teach, preach, be an elder… be the church encourager.

3. Stay focused. Nothing could sidetrack me. See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise. Eph 5:15 Circum- around spectly- to look. I had lots of offers for breakfast in morning, longer lunches. Just skip a mile… no one will know was told to me by many. There are lots of noices/voices/attractions that can get in the way… trip us up. Life in general can pull you off track. Satan is the deceiver…a snake in grass, walking about look whom to destroy.

4. Keep fit. Watch my diet. Wear the right shoes.
I knew that heavy cheeseburgers and fries… killed me. Sugars and sweets slowed me down… what I needed was pasta, carbohydrates… New balance shoes. What I took in…. made me.. What are you consuming of the world? Movies… (I tell counselors during summer… stay away from them…. Keep you mind/life clean and unpolluted.) I often times am seen as legalistic…. But I know the equation… garbage in---garbage out.

5. Straight roads are best… I could drink coffee/read newspaper and walk at the same time.
Scripture backs me up!!! Ps. 27:1 lead me in the straight path; Heb 12:13 Make straight paths for my feet; Matt 3:3 make your paths straight ; Prov 3:5-6. No obstacles/no hills/no distractions. Central Iowa was pretty boring… but pretty flat.. Eastern Iowa beautiful… but hills and blind curves… On the straight path… you can see way out in front of you.


6. I was committed! I was often asked how do you keep doing this day after day. How do you FEEL about walking this far… I always say, “It ain’t about feelings. I am committed to completing this. I get up, take Ibuprofen… and walk. Even when I didn’t FEEL like it. The same is true with marriage/job/my relationship with the Lord

7. Keep looking ahead. Water towers, elevators… meant restaurant, pancakes and rest… heaven… eternal rest. Start looking at life from a heavenly perspective. The older I get the less attached to earth I am. My life trophies seem meaningless. (Deer mounts… where are my kids going to put them?)

How’s your walk.. Getting off the road… hiding behind curves. Trying to coast down hills… have you stopped reading daily.. praying...are you compromising Biblical principles?.... tiny unseen sins pull you off the path into the ditch.

Are you surrounding yourself with other believers to encourage you. MORE IMPORTANT- are you as an older, mature Christian surrounding the young believers

How’s your diet? Is your diet a steady intake of Bible reading, memorization, prayer.

Are you looking ahead. It isn’t a run-but a slow, step by step walk. Decision by decision. Making the right choice along the way.

What does the Lord require of you according to Micah 6:8- What does the Lord require of you!... To Walk humbly with your God

God told Abram,”Walk before me and be blameless Gen 17:1 Abram was 99 years old.

God was saying, “Stay out in front of me so I can keep track of you (so I can take care of you.”

You can walk with God, or before God, Just Walk!!! As in the movie, What about Bob…baby steps are ok... at camp... you may take giant strides forward... but when you get home...keep walking, stay committed... keep consuming Scriptures daily.... stay on the straight path... and look ahead.

Isaiah 40:31 Run and not grow weary… walk and not faint.


It is my desire, as the camp director, that this group of high school and college age kids will leave Hiddden Acres with purpose in their Walk... with a new resolve to meditate on Scriptures... to walk and NEVER faint... or grow tired of doing good!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post! I am a young christian gal thinking seriously about walking across Iowa south to north. Are there any tips you could give me? My email is ogerprincess@yahoo.com

Kitti C. said...

Earl, Looks like you had a great summer! Plans for Fall? How's the family? I recently (21 Aug) I posted a brief entry called "Summer Camp" with an old photo of the boys at their church camp near Philly. See
www.dailykitticarriker.blogspot.com